January, crappy day at work, dark, nearly went down the social media rabbit hole, that unsatisfactory flitting about online but pulled myself back from the brink put on The Last Five Years the doc about David Bowie (Be Still My Beating Heart!) and took out some crafting and felt slightly whole again
I’m part of an exhibition at the Fine Art Library – tucked away in the eaves of the Central Library organised by Edinburgh LoFi a loose collection of people interested in alternative processes and lo tech cameras. Do pop in if you are in the area. On until the end of the month and the library is wonderful anyway. Love your libraries!
So a quick trip south. Watched fireworks over London on the 5th of November from Parliament Hill (and recently had an interesting facebuik convo trying to explain why we go mad for fireworks at this time of year with someone in Israel), Then to Cambridge two more firework displays, one in my brother’s garden with a fire and marshmallow toasting, Enforced crocheted of bunny outfits. At least they are now kitted out for winter. Then home to post off two more blankets for Knit-a-Square with squares made by Granny Greens.
More experimentation – we got given a ball of undyed arran yarn 50g from New Lanark Mills in our conference bag for In The Loop so on my return I started dunking it in dye. I was a bit alarmed by the brightness of the colours so it went through as second bath of a violet/black. I’m trying the same colours again on a merino. Its drying on the radiator… and I might just leave it without the second colour.
Well made the plunge… read lots of blogs… those yarns soak up an astonishing amount of dye. Finally found a use for all those jars I’d been keeping! First skein is a basic cheepo Wendy which I experimented on. The second is the posh Falkland Bluefaced Leicester which is v soft and I can’t wait to see dry.. but I’ve discovered how long yarn takes to dry. Days and days.
Today I tried to prepare for dyeing striped sock yarn. This necessitated about an hour with a yard/meter converter on my computer. Much calculation with pen and paper. And probably winging it. It seems that most seasoned yarn dyers use a warping board which I do not have. I measured the 4.55 meters I needed for a 5 colour sock stripe around two chairs. It went fairly well until that appauling tangle appeared and I sat down and untangled it WITHOUT CUTTING IT. It took an hour… Miss F just sat and looked at me in that ‘what the hell’ expression. Later I dye!
Dyeing experiments… the rail in the spare room makes a makeshift drying rack!. I found that the microwave was much speedier than on the stove and less worried about standing over it. Super organised with labels so I remember what dye colour I’ve used for each hank. They are all food colouring dyes so I didn’t have to worry about the Fatblackcat.